AI has grown so powerful that there is hardly any industry that hasn’t yet tried incorporating some AI functionality into their operational procedure. The healthcare sector is no exception. The advancement in AI has revolutionized the way things work in the healthcare sector. Advanced diagnostic methods, treatment strategies, medical record keeping, the list seems to be long.
AI For Doctors
AI is being employed to improve diagnostics and treatment plans by applying machine learning to the decision-making procedure.
Two common applications that fall under this category include:
- Precision health: By studying the information related to the patient’s lifestyle, biometric data and living environment, AI-powered precision health tools assist early identification of potential risks and recommend preventative interventions.
- Diagnostic imaging interpretation: AI has improved the accuracy of imaging systems. When equipped with advanced algorithms, the results of X-Rays, MRI scans and CT scans can be obtained within lesser time.
AI For Patients
The influence of patient engagement is only increasing in healthcare. No wonder AI tools that focus on serving patients has been developed.
Here are two examples of patient solutions using AI.
- Healthcare bots for customer service: Maintaining regular communication with patients is an exhausting task for medical providers. Interactive chatbots use concept extraction algorithms, natural language processing (NLP) and sentiment analysis to respond to questions about bill payment, medication refill and appointment scheduling. Such interactive tools allow medical providers to focus on tasks that require more of their attention.
- Virtual health assistants: Patients get the opportunity to interact with a virtual persona created using speech and body recognition software, cognitive computing and AR. Patients can ask health-related questions to these virtual health assistants and learn ways to manage their health better.
AI For Administrators
Medical facilities involve huge volumes of data managing which isn’t really an easy task. AI algorithms offer various solutions to manage data generated by medical procedures by automating administrative processes and eliminating outdated data.
Two examples of AI applications in the hospital administration include:
- Real-time physician documentation improvement: Real-time decision support models powered by AI enable the physicians to increase the accuracy and efficiency of their note taking.
- Computer-assisted coding: Programs using machine language and natural language processing can use clinical documentation to suggest medical codes. Coders can make use of these suggestions to validate or amend their codes and achieve the highest reimbursement rates.
Artificial Intelligence can simplify diagnostic and medical decisions that are sometimes beyond the cognitive capabilities of the human brain.